- On the Line with SurDoc SurDoc's Marketing Director, Suzanne Duris is quick to point out that high fidelity online sharing, a robust platform and amazing technology make the company a formidable competitor.
- Your Guide to Online Backup Services Find helpful advice in selecting the best online backup provider.
- What is Online Backup? ...plus more frequently asked questions on Online Backup.
- Asigra Cloud Backup Connector Appliance Now Shipping in Volume Posted on October 29, 2013
- Panda Cloud Drive Adds Backup for BlackBerry Devices Posted on October 25, 2013
- Gillware Online Backup Is Proud to Partner with iPatientCare Posted on October 24, 2013
- Vizant Technologies Doubles Server Backup Performance with Zetta.net's Cloud Platform Posted on October 23, 2013
- Platinum and Backup Manager Corp Team on Cloud Data Backup and Recovery Posted on October 22, 2013
Carbonite Expands Functionality to Deliver Better Cloud Backup for Higher Education
BOSTON, Dec. 6, 2012 -- /PRNewswire/ -- Carbonite, Inc. (NASDAQ: CARB), a leading provider of online backup solutions for consumers and small to medium sized businesses, today announced that it has added new features to its Carbonite Business suite to better meet the backup needs of the higher education market. Based on feedback from current education customers, the new Groups and Search features will provide an institution with easier management for the cloud backups of their users and devices.
"When you work at a college or university, your computer likely holds important information and documents that are vital to your department – from student records and research documents to tuition reports," said Pete Lamson, SVP of Cloud Backup, Carbonite. "We have taken strides to ensure Carbonite is the better cloud backup plan for colleges or universities by adding new features designed with their needs in mind. Now, our education customers can more easily manage their institution's backup at a price that will fit their budget."
The new features added to Carbonite cloud backup include Groups and Search. The features are the first of several new enhancements planned for the education sector and are also helpful for small businesses with multiple locations or departments.
* Groups allows admins to group users together so that they can easily locate and better manage the backups of specific groups. For example, backups can be categorized by staff, faculty, departments or other preferred segmentations within an institution.
* Search allows admins to search for individual users, computers or groups within the organization rather than manually looking through lists.
"Today's faculty and staff work digitally and with increased mobility, so Carbonite's anytime, anywhere access ensures they can remotely access their files from any Internet-connected computer or mobile device, regardless of if they forget a research document in the office or left their laptop at home," added Lamson. "Plus, considering how many documents they may be working on at any time, continuous backup for all of an institution's on and off campus staff and faculty is key."
Cloud Backup for Colleges and Universities Carbonite allows offices, departments, faculty and staff, as well as small business to back up data from an unlimited number of computers, external hard drives, NAS devices and Windows servers, with Carbonite Business plans starting at just $229 per year. To help businesses avoid the cumbersome process of manually backing up and storing data offsite, installation for Carbonite Business is fast and easy, and backing up happens automatically and continually in the background. Carbonite Business also offers additional advanced features, including:
* Web-based administrative dashboard: This simple dashboard can be accessed from any computer connected to the Internet and lets the manager check the backup status for multiple computers, invite new users, monitor the whole department, college or university's backup storage level and purchase additional storage, if needed. The new Groups and Search features are accessible from the dashboard.
* Anytime, Anywhere Access: Users can access their backed up files from any Web browser or from a smartphone or tablet. So whether a faculty member has an office on campus or off, their files will be backed up and accessible.
* External hard drive and NAS (network attached storage) backup: Colleges, universities and businesses can add files and folders saved on an external drive to their online backup and also back up their NAS device.
* Windows Server backup: With Carbonite BusinessPremier, users can also back up servers running Microsoft Windows Server 2003, 2008 and 2011.
* Private Encryption Key Management: Users have the option to manage their own private encryption key for any Windows computer, NAS device or Windows server.
To learn more about how Carbonite Business can help assist colleges and universities with cloud backup, please contact the Higher Education team at 866-596-7988 or HigherEd@carbonite.com.